April 12, 2012

Craft obsessions

Sometimes I'll get an idea for a project and just become consumed by it. Last summer I had grown green with envy for an accent chair for my living room. I knew we could not afford some $300 chair, so I got it in my brain to reupholster one. (ha ha) I searched tons of garage sales till I found a cute 50's era bucket chair similar to this. 
Except it was a faded lavender velvet with big pom-pom fringe. Totally 70's yuck. 

While I was paying the $5 to appease my greed, another gal helping run the garage sale offered me another chair. She said she hadn't even thought about it till then, but she had an old farmhouse chair in her garage she'd sell me to. So what the heck, I took a gamble and followed her home. And this is what she uncovered. 

 I lusted after the wooden arms and the spindled front legs. For another $5 I took this one home too. 
 Before the day was over I had completely torn it apart. I unearthed raw cotton, burlap, straw, and plenty of mouse droppings. Most likely it had housed rodents and then kittens by the remains. I kept the nasty fabric to use as a pattern for when I would recover this chair, but threw everything else away. Come back in 1 month to see my finished product. I plan on
- Stripping the wood
-Sanding it
-Staining it
-Sealing it
-All new stuffing
-Rivet detail along the top and 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...